This is a great dish for Fall (or anytime). We love it round our home it!
Spice Rubbed Baked Chicken With Apples
Per Serving 442 calories
Fat 28 g
Carbs 20 g
Protein 29 g
The dish really has a nice brown color when it is done. Adding the apple juice and covering with foil for the first 40 minutes helps retain the juices and makes it really juicy. Poking the chicken with holes before adding the seasoning is a way my mom ensures that some of the spices goes further into the chicken.
- 2 1bs Chicken legs (about 3 legs)
- 1 green cooking apple cored and sliced
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1/2 TBSP chili powder
- 1/2 TBSP paprika
- 1/ TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Dash of crushed thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish with butter or oil.
- Set aside.
- Mix honey, chili powder, paprika, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Poke holes in each chicken leg and rub the mixture unto the chicken making sure that all areas of the chicken are covered with spice rub. Save the bowl for later - do not rinse.
- Place spiced rubbed chicken in the baking dish.
- Place the apple slices around the chicken.
- Pour a 1/4 cup apple juice in the same bowl that you mixed the spice rub in.
- Stir with a spoon to get the remnants of the mixture mixed in with the apple juice.
- Pour evenly over the chicken and apples.
- Sprinkle with a dash of thyme leaves.
- Cover with foil (poked with holes so some air can flow through) and bake 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with your favorite sides!
When the chicken is done, it really has a nice color. Well, I like my chicken this color:)